Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Lots of Applesauce

I picked a box of apples at a friends house. They were pretty little and tart, so we decided to make some applesauce. Joe was the peeler, I did the cutting and Zac tried hard to play in the apple cores. To keep him out and away from knives I decided to try letting him play with dry beans. It worked really well. A little too well, actually, he got really mad when we put them away. We ended up with 10 quarts of applesauce! Good thing Zac likes "sauce".












2 comments:

  1. Fun! We did the same thing when we lived there, in fact we picked the apple two trailors up from you. Oh how I miss moscow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One year we picked 110 lbs of apples from the WSU Orchard. We had to buy an Apple Peeler Corer Slicer and Victorio Strainer from Tri State to handle to work. Drill Bit's sister and I spent the day canning apples. The steam from canning started to peel the paint from the walls of our trailer. I forget the final tally now, but Book Bit dined on applesauce for a year. She won't touch the stuff now.

    You'll have to find the wild patches of berries and make jam. My favorite were the blackberries. Though you do have to watch out for the wasps and the thorns.

    ReplyDelete